Twitter

Follow MachelleAhmed on Twitter

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

I was meeting up with my daughter in Seattle.
She was running late in traffic and we were to
meet at a local restaurant. While I was waiting, one of the waiters suggested I try their soup. It was so wonderful that it got me excited to try my own version. The following  is my attempt to replicate.

Heat six tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. Add in two chopped leeks, 1 head of cauliflower that has been flowered, 1 cup of diced celery and fry for a few minutes. Now add in 2 bay leaves, 1/8 teaspoon celery seeds, 4 cups of brown chicken stock, a pinch of white pepper and smoked paprika. Bring down to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. The vegetables should be soft. Now add 5 tablespoons of basmati rice and two cups of water and simmer for another 15 minutes. Now add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/4 cups of minced chives. You will now puree the soup in a blender and pass through a fine sieve.

For the garnish you will heat two tablespoon of butter in a small frying pan. It is your choice for garnishes. You can saute shrimp, shitake mushrooms, crab... I added shitake mushrooms and chipotle chile pepper to top the soup. It is really delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment